I headed out to the little town of Benalla yesterday and visited the local fruit grocer. They had beautiful strawberries for only $2 a punnet and I knew right then that I would love to make some strawberry macarons with them.
I made plain macaron shells and painted them with red and gold lustre dust mixed with vodka. The colors don’t show up very well unfortunately. I filled them with a white chocolate strawberry ganache and a small basil leaf. The basil really cuts through the sweetness making this macaron a very satisfactory mouthful.
Filling recipe as below (fills a 100g almond meal shell recipe)
50g white chocolate
50g strawberries, roughly chopped
1 tsp powdered gelatine
- Heat white chocolate and cream together in microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring between each heating until chocolate is fully dissolved.
- Add chopped strawberries into ganache and incorporate.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp of powdered gelatine into 2 tablespoons of cold water and heat in the microwave for about 20 seconds or until gelatine dissolves.
- Pour ganache mixture into gelatine while stirring to avoid gelatine clumps.
- Leave in fridge to cool and thicken.