Today is my rare day off during the week and I decided to bake a tart and relish the opportunity to photograph it in daylight. I can’t wait for the days to get longer!
I decided to make a caramelised onion, tomato and olive tart and top it off with some fresh basil.
Recipe as follows:
Tart base (enough for one 8-inch tart base)
1 cup plain flour
75g butter, cubed
2 tablespoons chilled water
1. Rub butter into plain flour until fine buttery crumbs form. Add chilled water and combine into a ball. Wrap in cling wrap and leave in fridge for about 20 minutes to firm up.
2. Preheat oven to 160 Celcius (fan foced). Roll pastry into a flat disc and press into tart pan. Line with baking paper and weigh down with pastry beads. Bake for 15 minutes. Take out of oven and fill.
1 red onion
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 punnet cherry tomatoes
5-10 olives, pitted
2 tablespoons olive oil
Handful of basil leaves
1. Saute onion in olive oil until soft. Add sugar and continue to stir until nice and caramelised (about 5-10 minutes).
2. Pour onion mixture into pastry case.
3. Pierce cherry tomatoes with sharp knife and arrange on top of onion. Add olives.
4. Bake for 20 minutes at 200 Celcius.
5. Add fresh basil at the end.
I really enjoyed making it – it looks like such a happy tart.