I am alive!
I am sorry I have not been posting – I went away to Europe (thoroughly enjoyed myself – I now want to move to Germany for 6 months if I have the chance!) and have just been so busy catching up with everything when I got back that I just did not have the time or energy to come up with any inspiration. Things have changed though and today I finally got round to making something.
To be honest, I am not the most talented when it comes to Swiss rolls – more often than not they become cake sandwiches. This was a slightly fancier version as well as I had decided to pipe holly leaves and cranberries as a motif.
Recipe as follows:
Christmas Swiss Roll
Ingredients and equipment
110g optima flour (an Asian sponge cake mix)
1 tsp vanilla essence
30g butter, melted
Food colouring of choice
20cm x 30cm baking pan
Silicone coated baking paper
Disposable piping bags
- Line tin with silicone coated baking paper.
- Whisk eggs, flour, water and vanilla together until light in colour and double in volume – this may take up to 5-10 minutes depending on the speed of your mixer.
- Add melted butter to the mixture and fold in until full incorporated.
- Remove a tablespoon of mixture and add colour as desired – in my case I made one tablespoon red and the other green. Place coloured mixture into piping bags.
- Pipe patterns as desired onto the baking paper in the tin. Place in freezer until fully set (1-2 hours).
- Preheat oven to 160°C (fan-forced).
- Pour remaining batter over frozen pattern and even out with spatula. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and roll. Fill with desired filling.
Tip: Roll the cake as soon as it is out of the oven to prevent cracks from forming and make sure the cake is not over baked.
Just a simple project – hopefully I get into more complex things in the near future but for now – that’s it! Glad to be back.
13 thoughts on “Christmas Swiss Roll”
so yummy looking and sounds so easy to make
Yes – it is easy! A little time consuming but simple. 🙂
So creative, Evelyn, love it!!! xoxo, Angie.
Thanks, Angie! I tried to come up with something simple for my first bake back in the kitchen. 🙂
Your swiss roll is just adorable, I love the holly! Also, I adore Germany – if you moved there I would have to live through your posts, it’s absolutely amazing!
LOL yes – I fell in love with it and I was only there for 2 days! Would love to go there and do German themed baking 🙂
That sounds absolutely lovely!
I love your little tree 🙂
I love it too – it’s actually my housemate’s. We have great joy putting it up every year.
Thanks, Pang 🙂 Glad you think so.
Wooow! Such a creative idea. Lovely!
Btw u hav got a lovely blog out there. Luv ur fotos n the recipes. Keep it up! 🙂
Thank you – glad you like it 🙂